The term content marketing is one specific to the Internet age. In the past, words used in advertising, even full-page magazine advertorials, were not considered content marketing. These print marketing techniques were simply part of advertising.
Google defines content marketing as: “… a marketing technique of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action.”
Today, however, the Internet has transformed how words are used in marketing. In some cases, a full article or blog published on the web may never be read all the way through by a human. Still, that piece of copy could direct hundreds or thousands of Internet users to visit your website, thus increasing the potential for more new patients.
Ways Content Marketing Works
1. Someone searches for a phrase (keyword phrase) used in your blog, article, or webpage. That page shows up in search results (SERPs), and the person visits your site. The closer to page one, position one your listing is, the greater the chance that web users will visit your site.
2. The content on your blog, article, or webpage includes links to other online destinations, and those destinations receive SEO credit for your link. Your content, then, helps the destination site rank higher in search results. The opposite is also true. When someone links to a URL on your site or blog, you receive credit with search engines.
3. Your article, blog, or webpage is shared on social networks, increasing its own SEO credit and placing your brand and message in front of countless potential patients.
4. People comment on your blog and increase its SEO power so that it ranks higher, closer to page one in Google results for your targeted keywords.
5. Someone adds an RSS (real simple syndication) feed to your blog, from their website. Your blog gains SEO credit.
Over time, by increasing the blogs and content you publish online, you’ll gain expert status with Google and the general public. Your site and blogs will rank on page one of Google results for targeted keyword phrases, and your new patient calls will increase. On a side note, I’ve had many blogs result in requests for interviews or other publicity opportunities.
The Right Formula for Content Marketing
Having been in the content marketing business for over a decade, I’ve learned a few things. One, Google and other search engines tweak indexing algorithms all the time, and this affects how pages show up in search engine results. Through the years, original, high-quality content has always, ALWAYS, been the number-one way to increase online visibility organically (without paid ads).
Writing and publishing an excellent article is great. For print, you just write, edit, and publish. For successful online content that will reach the top of search engine results, dentists and physicians must include SEO considerations, such as keyword phrase selection and strategic integration; title tags and meta descriptions; and sharing content via social channels.
Expert Content Marketing
If you want your website to hit page one and remain there, or if you own a website company, consulting business, or ad agency and you need reliable copywriters who understand SEO, call Identiwrite Creative today. We provide wholesale content and accurate, detailed reporting for big-picture content marketing strategies that yield new patients.
About Shauna Duty: As a copywriter, copy director, and owner of dental marketing companies, Shauna has worked with hundreds of copywriters. Today, she hires only those with high standards for excellence and quality. With her husband, Shauna owns and manages Identiwrite Creative, a content marketing agency that caters to dentists, physicians, and lawyers. Email [email protected] or call 940-395-5115 to talk with Shauna.